Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2015

This Post Was Supposed to be Tuesday Thursday - Christmas Stocking

This was one of the most frustrating pins to date, guys. Of course, this post would come after a Throwback Thursday that I posted to prove to you that yes, I do mess-up sometimes. Here's the thing though - this one was pure user-error. Nothing with the pin was wrong - instructions were great, easy to understand and legitimately was as easy as the lady said it was going to be.

This is how you know it is frustrating: I have a whole 3 pictures. A before... and two afters. Are you excited yet?
Fantastic choice in colors, Colette. Incredibly photo-friendly... #photofail

So no, the snowflake stocking is not mine. What is mine is the blue velvet underneath it. Now, as one big chunk of fabric it wasn't very stretchy. However, when you pin that stupid stocking to the stupid velvet fabric and stupidly cut it out - it turns into water. You heard me. Water. This stuff suddenly was super stretchy, fell apart when you cut it, and left behind all sorts of velvet fluff. It was quite ridiculous.

So I followed the directions to the T and ended up sewing the toe completely off. Yup - I essentially had a sack. I truly did think about stopping there and just saying it was a Santa Sack (see what I did there?) but I couldn't. I planned on making a stocking, a stocking I will make. Eventually.

After I ripped out the seam of that one (ultimately creating a ton more velvet fluff all over my machine - awesome) I sewed it all back up and managed to get it in a stocking/sock-like fashion.

I also made the hang thing about a foot longer than necessary, but a little bit of snipping with scissors and a whole lot of "I don't freaking care anymore" fixed that situation reallll quick.

In the end, I had a stocking that wasn't so bad. I was almost proud of myself.
Until I hung it up.
And it immediately returned to looking like a misshapen sack. I should have stopped while I was ahead on that one, I suppose.

Until next time... get hungry, because I'm pretty sure my next few posts are going to be surrounding myself with Christmas-cookie Pinterest things.

No comments:

Post a Comment